[MAINT] Network Work on Code Sunday, Oct 1, 1-4pm EDT

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Fri Oct 6 12:02:31 EDT 2017

Another shot in the dark:

I don't know how you scored an Arris modem with static IPs (I have the
annoying AT&T/2Wire HGV3801 for my statics) but I found that heavy
traffic filled the very small memory for the CONNTRACK connection
tracking table which would cause massive packet loss.  In the HGV, all
traffic goes through the CONNTRACK table as if it was NATted even though
I'm using a static public IP.  Traffic headed for the modem itself also
goes through the CONNTRACK table.  The CONNTRACK table is tiny, about
1024 entries maximum, and the state machine is fairly dumb, unable to
reuse connections and constantly adding to the table.  On top of all
that, the default TTL of the table is 24 hours.  Any heavy traffic in or
outbound will quickly fill the table.  I reduced that TTL to about one
hour (you'll have to fiddle with it to find the right number) and a lot
of mysterious drops went away.  No idea if the Arris has a similar issue
but it's a quick test.