Customized saved-reports file per gnucash file (i.e. per company)

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Oct 11 11:35:30 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 14:35:51 BST Frankie Raney wrote:
> The cloud could be your own (hard drive or home cloud). I think you can
> install to a shareable drive(cloud) then create a short cut on each machine
> to it.  I think I have seen a way to share one of your desktops. I don't
> know for sure how to do it, but I do remember seeing an article on doing it.

Heh. I do keep my accounts files on a NFS share (indeed, lots of my ~ lives on
my fileserver).  Never really thought of it as "the cloud".  That term has to
me at least, always been the "cloud" shape in network diagrams at the other
end of my connection to the internet - meaning the bit I know is there but
isn't under my control.

However, discussing where the file(s) live doesn't really help with the OP's
problem of needing to create several identical reports on several data files,
which because the reports work on accountID not name, and the reports are not
per-file but global is just plain cumbersome...

Amish - the only thing I think I can suggest at this point is that each
company has it's own user login - at least that way the list of accounts is
not cumbersome..  Or thinking about it, if on linux (may work on Win, probably
not on Mac), you could create some shortcuts for each accounts file that sets
up a custom environment  (i think you need to set GNC_DOT_DIR bit have a good
google first) before launching GC so that each company has its own prefs file.
probably more cumbersome than a really busy menu, and error-prone, though,,,

Maf.