Customized saved-reports file per gnucash file (i.e. per company)

Amish anon.amish at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 05:01:10 EDT 2017

On Wednesday 11 October 2017 09:05 PM, Maf. King wrote:
> Amish - the only thing I think I can suggest at this point is that each
> company has it's own user login - at least that way the list of accounts is
> not cumbersome..  Or thinking about it, if on linux (may work on Win, probably
> not on Mac), you could create some shortcuts for each accounts file that sets
> up a custom environment  (i think you need to set GNC_DOT_DIR bit have a good
> google first) before launching GC so that each company has its own prefs file.
> probably more cumbersome than a really busy menu, and error-prone, though,,,
>
> Maf.

Easiest workaround would be that I have two saved-reports stored in
.gnucash directory.

say saved-reports-companyA and saved-reports-companyB

Before starting gnucash for a company I copy saved-reports-companyX to
saved-reports-2.4

This can be done with 2 line script (say gccompany):

#no error checking done
cp ~/.gnucash/saved-reports-$1 ~/.gnucash/saved-report-2.4
exec gnucash /path/to/$1.gnucash

Then instead of calling "gnucash companyA.gnucash"
I call "gccompany companyA"

That way I dont have to maintain 2 Linux accounts and 2 different
settings directory.

Amish.