command line QIF import

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 20:28:50 EDT 2017

I am not a developer, but I can point out that the QIF importer works in
several discrete steps where (roughly) it

1. identifies the 'source' account type and name and tries to associate it
to an existing account in the data file.  If there is more than one
'source' account in the QIF file it repeats for each.

2.  It presents it's results to the user for verification and (if
necessary) correction.

3.  Identifies all of the 'destination' accounts or categories and tries to
match them to existing accounts.

4.  It presents it's results to the user for verification and (if
necessary) correction.

5.  It parses each transaction and compares it to existing transactions
between the particular accounts previously identified.

6. It prepares lists of incoming transactions with suggested matches to
existing transactions where found.  These lists allow user editing to
accept or correct suggested matches.  This is where it is more efficient to
import only one account at a time so the 'duplicates' can be found here.

There are many checks during the import to test the text at each step and
prevent possible crashes and gross errors during matching and acceptance.

As an experienced user I would actually prefer that the developers stay out
of this discussion as they are very busy working 'under the hood' right now
toward getting the release 2.8 series into shape.  That release should get
rid of the deprecated software that is now threatening the continued
inclusion of GnuCash in (and compatibility with) upcoming Linux packages.

David C