command line QIF import

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Wed Oct 18 12:14:26 EDT 2017

I keep a copy of Gnucash on my computer, in the remote chance that some
of the obvious anti-user issues would be resolved.  I ran it a moment
ago.  I keep a copy of my chart of accounts on line, and the copy I use
is to test various types of transactions.  The easiest for me is paying
the rent.

1. The program opens in the Cash-Checking Account journal register.  I
entered the check number.  For "Description", instead of a description,
I put the name of the payee, in this case "Landlord", I entered the
account name "Rent" I put the cursor into the credit column because I am
reducing the cash account.  I hit enter to end the transaction.  The
transaction I entered disappeared.  Let me clarify that: THE TRANSACTION
DISAPPEARED.  I scrolled up, in case it scrolled off the screen, even
though only one transaction was on the screen.  Where did the
transaction go?  I don't know.  I am sure if I do a trial balance, I
might find it.  If I made an error, a window should have popped up
telling me of my error.

2.  Actually this item is not an "assertion", it is an offered solution,
as I have written a few accounting programs in my 36 years of using
micro-computers.  By a "preference" switch, I am referring to an option
in the "preferences" section allowing the user to select, via a check
box, similar to choosing "Debit" or Credit" vs. the non-accounting
titles, another transaction data entry option, one that is more user
friendly to a bookkeeping/accounting person, even on who is not Intuit
aware.

3. I appreciate your interest in it.  Actually, because I bought my copy
from an Egghead store years ago, I have had no need to find another.  As
I wrote, years ago Intuit bought IHA from Craig Carlson and Stephen
Pollack, and hired the two of them.  I received the notice in February
of 1992.  I kept it as a compliment to IHA for their product being
purchased by a worthy competitor.

Note:
There is more to item one.  If you create an unbalanced transaction, the
difference is silently placed into an account that is not in your chart
of accounts.  This was discussed by several 'veterans' of this list,
when I addressed it, and it was determined by the programmers that it
was best to not create a pop-up "error message" window.  I disagree.
The solution, of course is a simple if/then structure that looks at a
'preferences' option, and, inside the if/then structure is the pop-up
window. Those who choose to see a warning of their error, will see it,
so they can correct it while all is fresh in their mind, while those
who, like the ostrich with its head in the sand, wish to not be bothered
with such trivialities, would merrily go on to the next transaction.

John