loan account issue

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 19 10:03:16 EDT 2017

Hi,

lebyarules via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> writes:

> hi all
>
> i have a very similar issue to a previous poster when i import my bank
> statement all is fine, but importing a loan account statement and dr and cr
> are reversed. so any payment towards the loan results in a bigger loan. i
> know i could just manually change them but i just wanted to confirm a few
> things. what is the destination account for importing loan transactions? my
> banks statement shows the principal, interest, and bank fees. is the
> destination account meant to be liabilities-loan or assets-bank? secondly,
> if i send interest to expense-bank interest, then this affects my cash flow
> or profit/loss. im not paying the interest pm its just added back onto my
> total loan amount so nothing is deducted from my asset-bank.
>
> example from my bank loan statement:
> 01Jul2017	PAYMENT - THANK YOU	-3982.55
> 31Jul2017	ADMIN FEE	68.4
> 01Aug2017 INTEREST	2392.66
> 01Aug2017 PAYMENT - THANK YOU	-3936.94
> 31Aug2017 ADMIN FEE	68.4
> 01Sep2017 INTEREST	2336.44

Could you show the QIF that created the "inverted" splits?

I'm not 100% sure how to read this statement (specifically, I'm not sure
what to do with the Admin Fee).  For a STANDARD loan the payment
transaction looks like:

   Asset:Bank:Checking    Credit 3936.94
   Liability:Loan:Princ   Debit  1544.29
   Expenses:Loan:Interest Debit  2392.65