Column spacing

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Oct 23 21:45:20 EDT 2017

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:35:54 +0000 (UTC)
"David T. via gnucash-user" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Corinna,
> From the image, I surmise that you probably want to get the columns
> *other* than the description a little wider? You will need to ignore
> for a moment the description column (because it's special)*, and
> adjust your other columns. You can try double clicking the column
> headers, which may adjust them automatically, or drag the right side
> out. Once you have the other columns set correctly, you can shrink
> the description column.
>

> HTH, David
> * As documented in the Guide, the description column is set to fill
> all extra horizontal space on screen. This is confusing to many
> users,  but has been a long standing convention in gnucash.

This is a difficult thing to sort out. There are a number of steps to
get it happen.

1. Double click the column headers, this will expand the column to hold
all the data.
2. Now the data doesn't fit in the window, and has a scroll bar at the
bottom. Scroll to the right.
3. Decide which column you are going to make smaller eg Description.
4. Take the bar to the right (between Description and Transfer in this
case) and first tow it to the right, then back to the left where you
want it to go.

I hope someone has a video available on this, because it would be
easiest demonstrated, not written out.

Liz