using custom text to effect class reports

George Riner georgeriner at mycogeo.com
Fri Sep 1 12:16:00 EDT 2017

I'm using the trick of inserting a custom piece of text into
transactions so that I can then select/sort for that text in report
generation. This is to get a quicken-style 'class report'. I then put
that custom bit of text into the "Description contains:" field of the
'Sorting' tab on the report options.

It works fine, and I've been using it to mostly satisfaction.

Except that the only option to search in is the 'Description' field. I
do make purchases with 1 charge to my credit card where the items I
bought apply to different 'classes' and I insert my custom-text into
each 'note' field of the split transaction. but I can't set the report
options to filter by Memo or Note field; only the Description field.

Is my only recourse at present to 'un-split' the transaction into the 2
or 3 different transactions for each 'class'? Or am I missing some other
report filtering options that work on the Memo &/or Note fields?

:George
Gnucash 2.6.17
Windows 10