Help needed: 2.6.17 not building on 32-bit systems [FIXED]

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Sep 3 13:43:51 EDT 2017

On zondag 3 september 2017 19:26:25 CEST Rich Shepard wrote:
> Everyone:
>
>     Found and fixed the problem!!
>
>     Ran ldd on the not-found library (libgnc-gnome) and saw two missing
> dependent libraries:
>
>   	libicuuc.so.51 => not found
>   	libicudata.so.51 => not found
>
>     These are missing because Slackware-14.2 provides both in version 56.
> Made soft links from the gnucash-required version to the installed version
> and the build script completed. Installed it and it's loaded and waiting
> for me to enter a couple of week's worth of transactions.
>
> Thanks very much for all your patient help,

I'm glad you got it fixed locally, but the core issue is not solved really.
Some of gnucash' dependencies are built against that older libicuuc version. I
continue to point at libwebkitgtk because that's the only dependency we have
that requires icu (and you may have noted libwebkitgtk is also listed by ldd).

You could run ldd on that library and see what it's trying to link to. If it's
version 51, I think the libwebkitgtk maintainer should know. Unless he's of
the opinion libwebkitgtk1 is dead and not worth spending any time on any more
(several distros have taken that position).

I know it's not your priority, you need your transactions entered :)
I just wanted to point this out though as on my system making soft links like
that would be a no-no as it just kicks the can a bit further down the road.
And sooner or later it comes back to bite.

Regards,

Geert