Help needed: 2.6.17 not building on 32-bit systems [FIXED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 3 14:01:40 EDT 2017

On Sun, 3 Sep 2017, Geert Janssens wrote:

> I'm glad you got it fixed locally ...

   Thanks, Geert. So am I!

> You could run ldd on that library and see what it's trying to link to. If
> it's version 51, I think the libwebkitgtk maintainer should know. Unless
> he's of the opinion libwebkitgtk1 is dead and not worth spending any time
> on any more (several distros have taken that position).

   I just did this:

 	libicui18n.so.56 => /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.56 (0xb3c46000)
         libicuuc.so.56 => /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.56 (0xb3aca000)
         libicudata.so.56 => /usr/lib/libicudata.so.56 (0xb22e6000)

   The problem here is that the first library (libicui18n.so.56) also
appeared in the unlinked ldd results from libgnc-gnome while it was the
latter two that pointed to version 51. With the softlinks the latter two
point to version 56 which is what allowed gnucash-2.6.17 build.

> I know it's not your priority, you need your transactions entered :) I
> just wanted to point this out though as on my system making soft links
> like that would be a no-no as it just kicks the can a bit further down the
> road. And sooner or later it comes back to bite.

   Since it's not my can to pick up about all I can do it kick down the road
to the developers. But, I will try to locate the libwebkitgtk development
team and make them aware of the issue.

   I saw on the unlinked library list that some libicu* libraries were at
version 56 and only *uc.so.51 and *data.so.51 were the wrench in the gears.

Regards,

Rich