Merging imported transactions

Warner Losh wlosh at bsdimp.com
Mon Sep 25 12:00:33 EDT 2017

Greetings,

I download all my transactions from my back in quickbooks OFX format. I import them into gnu cash. This works well; however, I’ve hit a snag.

I have a credit card, a paypal account and a bank account. These all have different formats for downloading the data from, which I can convert to something gnu cash can import. When I do this, though, I have a small problem. The bank account comes in via OFX, so has lots of Imbalance-USD entries. I’ve used this account for the import of some items from the credit card and paypal accounts as well. So I wind up with a transaction in the bank ledger that is a payment to the credit card, but doesn’t credit that account. There’s also a separate transaction in the credit card that’s a payment from the bank, but doesn’t debit the bank account. In a sense, there’s two double entries I’d like to combine to eliminate the Imbalance-USD account entirely since I don’t think that’s a real account and find it sloppy book keeping. Is there anything I can use to merge entries when I’m replying on downloading the bulk of the data rather than entering it myself?

Thanks for any help you can give me here.

Warner