Merging imported transactions

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 26 15:33:34 EDT 2017

Warner:

I may be wrong but: it sounds like the Bayesian matching routine has been taught to match these transactions to "Imbalance-USD".  You need to do several small imports of ofx/qfx files, from any and all of these financial institutions that use ofx/qfx.  The Bayesian matching routine is going to have to be "UN-taught" to point at the wrong account.  Do several small imports.  I do not know how many transactions you run monthly but; for sake of argument let us say import only a half-dozen transactions at a time (over time you can increase the number as it learns).  The Bayesian matching routine catches on faster that way, short fast lessons not long boring ones.  Since you are getting a lot of Imbalance transactions select the "A" box and manually select the account where the transaction should go.  After 2 or 3 imports the importer should slowly begin to catch on so you can use the "R"econcile option more often.  It will help some if you can already have some of the transactions already entered manually, and always check to see if the "R"econcile brings up the right transaction, if so reward it and select "R"econcile otherwise correct it by manually selecting the proper account with the "A" option.  Keep in mind you have to double click either side of the "A", "U", "R" box's to see what it is matching to.

Right now all it knows is all imported transactions balance with "Imbalance-USD".  Think of it as a 2 year old who's favorite word is "NO", latter it will be "CAN I HAVE THIS ONE?".  Until it "learns" to associate a specific payer to a specific payee you will have to manually assign each transaction with the "A" option.  Like David said, the matching routine is not perfect so you need to double check each transaction as you accept the match.

QIF works a lot differently.  And when you get to importing PayPal at individual transaction level, well .... aspirin and a ball bat help.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.