Merging imported transactions

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Sep 26 10:02:58 EDT 2017

The problem I have is that the bank has OFX files. But AmEx and PayPal do
not (well, AmEx does, but I'd have to pay extra and it's for a business
that's not making enough money to pay extra). I've hacked together some
python code so I can import transactions this way via csv lists (which I
wish there was an option to say 'use line 1 for the headings, they match
the strings you are expecting'). I don't want to DELETE one of the
transactions, I want to MERGE them. Why? Because the Bank side of the
transaction has the bank's confirmation number and some other information.
And the other side of the transaction has things like who the seller was
and what I bought. I'd like both bits of information preserved. And trying
to cut and paste between notes has proven to be somewhat difficult due to
GTK "issues"....

I was able to do the QucikBooks 2007 -> GnuCash migration based on
https://lwn.net/Articles/729087/ coupled with several bug fixes for stupid
things like commas, two digit years, etc. I've been able to automate my
monthly rent transaction posting by copying old transactions and setting
the date. I haven't found a good python OFX parser yet, or I'd take a stab
at trying to match the transactions as well and create fully-formed entries.

With the OFX importing and python scripts, I was able to catch up with a
year backlog in a couple of hours, despite the difficulties (a chore that
usually takes me days). I'd hoped to find some way to take it a step
further to automate the tedium further (though to do that, I'd need some
kind of spider that downloads the data from three different sources as
well)... Maybe next month i'll try loading the .csv transactions first to
see if that helps...

Warner