Fast reactions to 2.7.8

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Apr 1 16:32:12 EDT 2018

Thanks for all the research, Geert.  I’ve done some experimentation on MacOSX and can add a bit.

> 6. Move this directory to a location on your system that's parsed by gtk. This
> is platform dependent:
> - Linux: $HOME/.local/share/themes/
> - OS X: Here I'm not sure. Possibly
>            $HOME/.local/share/themes/ (like on linux)
>      or  $HOME/Library/Application Support/themes/
>  I suspect the first unless one overrides the XDG_DATA_HOME environment
>  variable
> - Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\themes

It seems to be $HOME/.local/share/themes/ even in the native Aqua version of GnuCash.

> 7. Next tell gtk to load this theme.
> Linux users can probably most easily do this by install the "Gnome Tweak Tool"
> on their platform and select the new theme there.
>
> The manual method is this:
> Create a file named "settings.ini" in the appropriate location. Again this
> depends on your platform:
> - Linux: $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/
> - OS X: Again I'm not sure. Possibly
>            $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/ (like on linux)
>      or  $HOME/Library/Application Support/Gnucash/config/gtk-3.0
>  I suspect the latter in this case because gnucash overrides the
>  XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable on OS X
> - Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\gtk-3.0\

~/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini works for the native version of GnuCash.  If anyone besides me runs the X-Window version on MacOS, then the settings.ini file should be in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 like on Linux.

You’re certainly right that Eye-friendly-Dark-RBC isn’t the best theme, but it works on MacOS.

Mike