Version 3: Improved SQLite response?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Apr 2 13:56:11 EDT 2018

> On Apr 2, 2018, at 8:24 AM, Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> First let me say I have been a user of GNU Cash (on Windows) for many
> years, and I greatly appreciate the efforts of all the developers.
> Thank you all so much!
>
> My question:
>
> I tried SQLite early after it was considered usable by ordinary users,
> but was disappointed to see that the response time (loading saved
> views on start) on my large DB was not significantly different from
> the flat file.  (To be fair, I didn't spend much time experimenting
> because I didn't want to get out of sync with the flat file DB.)
>
> Is there any specific SQLite improvement planned for Version 3?

Other than a bit of profiling to speed up loading at the beginning of a session, no. It's still used as an object store, not as an active database, so it has no impact on the program's performance once the book is loaded. It doesn't use any views or even joins, though I will soon push a change for 3.1 that uses subqueries instead of huge lists of guids to load slots and splits.

Regards,
John Ralls