[GNC] bulk get online transactions

Brent McBride mcbridebt at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 00:32:21 EDT 2018

Hi,

Is it possible to batch/bulk downloading transactions for multiple accounts?

I'm a long-time MS Money and Quicken user who is investigating switching to GnuCash. I've successfully download account transactions via Actions->Online Actions->Get Transactions. But I have many different accounts at many different financial institutions, and downloading transactions one account at a time, and being prompted for PIN/password at each one, is very tedious. I like how both MS Money and Quicken can download transactions from all accounts sequentially in a single operation with only one password prompt at startup (all bank PINs/passwords are stored in a local vault).

Is there a way in GnuCash, either through the UI or some scriptable API, to do this? I searched what documentation I could find, but without much luck.

I did find this interesting tidbit:

"GnuCash uses libofx/aqbanking for OFX/QFX support, so you should look there for Direct Connect support: http://aquamaniac.de/aqbanking/ . Also, there is a python script available that can do this for you at [ http://www.jongsma.org/gc/ ]."

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ

However, that script url is no longer valid, and I wasn't able to find it cached at archive.org. Besides, I thought I read elsewhere that Windows and Mac builds of GnuCash don't support python extensions. I tried playing around with the aqbanking-cli.exe and aqhbci-tool4 utilities, but the documentation is rather spotty and I wasn't able to get far.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Brent