[GNC] Quicken running balances - available in GnuCash??

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 19:58:28 EDT 2018

It sounds like what you’re asking for is to combine the transaction report with a balance sheet report (showing only the desired asset of cash)

Is that correct?

If so, no, there is no such report that I can fathom out of the box.

But you can get a report that shows some info about your cash position on a weekly basis.

Run the Average Balance report, select only the desired cash account, set Show Table and unset Show Plot (if not desired) in the Display tab, and set the Step Size in the General Tab to ‘Week’. You’ll get a weekly summary of that account for the time period chosen in the General tab. (which defaults to start and end of accounting period - whatever that may be defined as in your Preferences)

You can copy/paste this into a spreadsheet. Then add a column on the right to calculate the sum of the previous week and the profit amount for each week. (which would be started off by the figure obtained from a beginning of period balance sheet) This would give you the ending cash balance each week.

Not as nice or easy, but without writing a custom report, it will get you the desired figures.

You could probably also copy in the transaction report and then write a simple macro or cell reference to copy over the weekly cash position so you can have it all together on the same sheet.

Regards,
Adrien