[GNC] Addition of Mailing List Subject Prefix

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Apr 10 18:09:00 EDT 2018

I do the same.

I’ve noticed though that despite Mailman being set not to deliver duplicates if you are also in the To or CC fields, it does so anyway. I think it was Geert who did that as a test a few weeks back and I got two copies, one got filed (the list copy) and the other stayed in my inbox. (the one direct from him) I think the problem there is the list is going to send you at least one copy, but the individual sending the mail is including you in a To or CC field, which gets handled by their client and their mail provider - not the list. Thus there are still two independent routes.

So I usually remove the personal addresses and move the list address up.

While the tag it’s no skin off my nose, it is a tad annoying. It’s now visual clutter I have to filter out. (despite that I bother to filter the messages into their own folder) I can see how cross-posted messages would turn into tag soup if every list followed this behavior.

And the real stickler for me on the whole topic, is this was added because some people don’t want to be bothered to configure their own mail client properly or don’t know how. (not to mention, it was added very quickly, even after the initial requestor withdrew the request!)

I’ve yet to see the very few who like or asked for this change to give us an example of a mail client that can’t filter, tag or otherwise identify list mail.

That’s my 2¢, or $1 factoring for inflation.

Regards,
Adrien

p.s. - I wonder what will happen to some people’s threadings if I manually remove that [GNC] tag in the subject line after “Re:” ?? Certainly, a good mail client will thread off the message-id, but that’s not always the case. Will Mailman add it back?