[GNC] XDG_CONFIG_HOME

Alen Siljak alen.siljak at gmx.com
Mon Apr 16 16:12:55 EDT 2018

   Michael,

   if you look at the v3.0 release notes, it states that
   "Data file directories are now located appropriately to the operating
   system's conventions by default:
     * Windows: CSIDL_APPDATA/Gnucash
     * MacOS: $HOME/Application Support/Gnucash
     * Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gnucash (or the default
       $HOME/.config/gnucash)

   It's still possible to overried with the environment variable
   GNC_DOC_PATH, which replaces GNC_DOT_DIR in earlier versions of
   GnuCash."

   So, the config directory has changed. On Windows, it used to default to
   ~/.gnucash but not any more. I don't have a Windows system at hand so
   can't give you the exact default location.

   Geert,

   I still find it strange that, even though there is no XDG variable that
   points to ~/.local/share, gnucash directory is still located there. I
   mean, there is no XDG_CONFIG_HOME nor XDG_DATA_HOME set on my system.
   There must be other standards (you know what's good about standards?
   There's so many of them).

   Cheers