[GNC] Toolbar ignoring gtk-toolbar-style setting in Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic)

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Fri Apr 20 08:39:19 EDT 2018

I am puzzled by your response for four reasons:

1. Ubuntu 18.04 is using GnuCash 2.6.17, not GnuCash 3, and 2.6.17 is
still using Gtk+2.

2. I observe the same behavior in the toolbar of the Gtk 2 demo
application. It is not unique to GnuCash.

3. When I SSH into my Ubuntu 18.04 box and run GnuCash over the X
connection forwarded through SSH, the toolbar displays as expected (with
both icons and labels). It is only when it is displayed on the Ubuntu
18.04 local display that it's using both+horiz mode even though my
settings say that it should use both mode.

4. It does not appear to be true that Gtk+3 does not support toggling
the toolbar's display mode. If you bring up GtkInspector on GnuCash 3.0
and change the "toolbar-style" property on the GtkToolbar object, the
display mode of the toolbar will change dynamically, just as it does in
Gtk+2 (or at least did for me before I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.10).

P.S. Speaking of both+horiz, why do only three of the buttons -- Save,
Close, and Split -- have text labels when both+horiz mode is used for
the toolbar?

   Jonathan Kamens