[GNC] splits 3+ accounts, how to

Eric Siegerman pub08-gnc at davor.org
Fri Apr 20 13:24:50 EDT 2018

A few things I've learned the hard way:

1. A split transaction usually has one debit and several credits, or
vice versa.  Whichever side there's only one of, enter that one *first*.
Otherwise things tend to get tangled up -- not beyond recovery, but it's
easier to stay out of that situation than to get back out of it.

E.g.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 08:58:55AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   When I pay my mortgage each month I assign the total payment to 3
> debit acounts accessed using the Split menu function.
> [...]
>   The total of these three amounts are offset by their total in the credit
> (decrease) to my checking account.

In this case, start with the (single) credit.

1b. Occasionally a transaction does want both multiple debits and
multiple credits.  Treat those as an advanced topic, and avoid them
until you've wrapped your head around the simpler case.

2. Sometimes it takes some finagling to get right.

3. "Unbalanced CAD" (or whatever) doesn't mean "you've screwed up
*again*, you dummy!", as I interpreted it at first.  It just means
"you're not done finagling yet".

  - Eric