[GNC] splits 3+ accounts, how to

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Apr 22 09:38:23 EDT 2018

Eric Siegerman <pub08-gnc at davor.org> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 04:29:49PM -0400, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
>> Ah .......... That is what had me confused about "three way splits"
>
> To make things worse, the GnuCash source code uses "split" in yet
> another way:  each of a transaction's entries is stored in a data
> structure called a split.  Thus, what in accounting terms is a
> simple, un-split transaction, is stored in GnuCash as two
> "splits" (one each for the debit and credit entries).
>
> One often has to stop and think about whether someone means
> "split" in the GnuCash-internal or the formal accounting sense
> :-/

I find it's *usually* easy to determine based on context.  A Split, by
itself, usually means an individual Gnucash Split.  On the other hand, a
Split Transaction usually implies a transaction with >2 splits.

There are, of course, times when the context is ambiguous, but I find
this is accurate most of the time.