[GNC] splits 3+ accounts, how to

Eric Siegerman pub08-gnc at davor.org
Sun Apr 22 16:08:35 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 09:38:23AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I find it's *usually* easy to determine based on context.  A Split, by
> itself, usually means an individual Gnucash Split.  On the other hand, a
> Split Transaction usually implies a transaction with >2 splits.

To be sure, as an adjective, "split" pretty reliably indicates
the accounting sense.

As a noun it likely means the GNC-internal one -- but only when
coming from someone who's aware of the distinction.  AFAIK,
that's a GnuCash-specific usage.

Counterexample: the OP wrote:
| I've tried to learn how to do a three way split like entering [...]
No problem; I do *not* mean this as a criticism, however mild.

My main point was to give a heads-up to newish users (or at
least, newish list subscribers) that they might see the term
"split" used in a sense they weren't expecting; and if so, how to
make heads or tails (umm, debits or credits? :-) ) of what's
being said.

  - Eric