[GNC] Post invoice still wants to be paid

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Aug 1 08:29:37 EDT 2018

Op woensdag 1 augustus 2018 13:48:38 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> > On Aug 1, 2018, at 4:17 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote:>
> > Op dinsdag 31 juli 2018 18:59:07 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> >> 1. Find and select the transaction for the payment.
> >> 2. Right-click the transaction and choose ‘Assign as payment...’
> >> 3. This brings up the Process Payment dialog.
> >> 4. Select the bill, be *careful* to make sure the payment amount, payment
> >> date and Num are all correct. (GC has a tendency to set the date as
> >> today,
> >> rather than the original transaction date so you might have to change it,
> >> as well as re-enter the transaction/check #)
> >
> > This should no longer be an issue if you edit an existing payment. I have
> > just tried this and in all cases the payment date is preserved.
>
> I just happen to be doing some cleanup and had a case of unposting &
> reposting and needing to re-assign the payment. And it used 7/31/18 as the
> date instead of the original payment date. (I was selecting a single bill
> and single payment for equal amounts) The Num field was also blank and had
> to be re-filled.

I presume you went straight to Business->Vendor/Customer->Process Payment ?

As explained below this does behave differently from selecting Edit payment on
a payment transaction.

In your example the pre-existing payment transaction itself will remain
unaltered. (It could be altered if the total amounts don't add up, but I
believe even in that case date and num values are retained).

Edit Payment on the other hand will decompose the payment you have selected
and prefill all the fields in the payment window based on what it found. So
yes, it does look slightly different indeed. The clue to see in which
situation you are is in whether the payment is still listed in the documents
view as a pre-payment or not.

> >> A slight variation of this second method is to,
> >> 1. Choose Process Payment from the Business > Vendor menu
> >> 2. Enter the vendor, you’ll see all outstanding bills and unassigned
> >> (pre)
> >> payments. 3. Simply select both the invoice and the payment, be sure the
> >> date, amount and Num/Memo details are all correct, double check the
> >> account
> >> to credit (usually checking or cash) and click OK.
> >
> > Even in this case the date and Num/Memo details are preserved although
> > it's
> > less obvious in the payment dialog. Each pre-existing payment that you
> > select from the list will retain its num and memo information. Only if
> > the final transaction would result in an additional payment transaction
> > (which can happen if the balance of all selected payments and invoices in
> > the list is not 0) the values of the num and memo field are used for the
> > new payment transaction.
>
> In the above recent case, I didn’t chance it. But that is re-assuring.

Geert