[GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:33:30 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 1:45 PM Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the run-down.
>
> So simply a case of Universe not pulling an update from Sid yet then? (or
> will that never happen and each release’s Universe is always tied to
> Testing? and then Stable, etc.) I know there is a separate backports
> repository as well. Perhaps that’s a better solution?
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Ubuntu works on the premise that you have well defined releases every six
months, with processes for updating individual packages in special cases.
The vast majority of packages get copied from Debian at a particular time,
then forever that "snapshot" is a part of a particular Ubuntu release as
its "universe" repository. If an individual package urgently needs an
update (due to a security exploit or a data-losing bug) there is a process
to push a change into an appropriate repository, but the resources for that
process are fairly limited.

If you look at   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash  you'll see
that the 3.2 version of GnuCash hasn't yet made it into the Cosmic
Cuttlefish release (18.10, due in October) because it's still working its
way through the Debian release process.

Yes, the backports repository is easily available AND the process can be a
lower hurdle for updates. It does still take a little effort -- the person
requesting the backport requests (or they themselves do) a backport of a
package on a standard Ubuntu system. The process involves providing
evidence that the backported package builds and runs as expected, and the
backport volunteers certify and approve the packages for inclusion.

It's very easy to enable the backports repository, so this might be a good
way to provide an updated GnuCash.

I'm not sure whether any other distributions use the Ubuntu Backports
repository. Mint might.

P.S.: I wish I could recommend the snap or flatpak versions of GnuCash, but
I don't think either has a well established network of folks keeping those
releases debugged and up to date. So (much like the getdeb repository)
whatever you see there was likely compiled by a committed individual, not a
team.

Maybe someone will create GnuCash wiki pages with instructions simple
enough that any of us can help update flatpak or snap packages?

-----