[GNC] Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya and Gnucash 3.2

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Aug 2 22:08:51 EDT 2018

Thanks Tommy,

The build of 3.2 for 16.04 was simple enough a couple of days ago. (partly because I’d built before on that vm so most everything was already there dependency-wise) The updated instructions certainly are helpful, but I did have to read and re-read them several times as the wording in some places was a little odd or not particularly in a “Step 1,2,3” fashion. (not always easy when building because of the myriad of variances on individual systems and of course, builder preferences)

Perhaps maybe a “here’s how to build yourself if you’ve never held a hammer” and then a “if you’re an old hat, here’s the particulars you can get your own mileage out of” sort of approach will help more less seasoned users obtain a more recent version with the least amount of effort. The current instructions are a VAST improvement, but they still try to be all things to all compiling users in one go, but we truly have vastly different skills levels and thus audiences for this material.

So, on backporting, I just successfully built. I can recreate my command sequence from my bash history. I suppose there is an official *buntu link/process to request and demonstrate a successful backport. I’ll add it to one of my burners along with possibly a build script for the newbies unless someone wants to take that. As I was building, my thought was that this could easily be scripted to prompt for preferences and check and install needed dependencies and shouldn’t be that difficult. I’ve never written an install script like this and always did things the hard way, but if anyone else reading has done this before, please look over the Ubuntu building pages and see if something is possible here.

Regards,
Adrien