[GNC] UK specific: any progress on MTD (Making Tax Difficult) ?

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 12:17:46 EDT 2018

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 14:10:46 +0100
Alain D D Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> This is the UK government's edict any business with a turnover of more than
> £85k/year will *need* to use accounting software and use that to submit tax
> returns - from April 2019 (& all above £10k from April 2020).
>
> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hmrc-publishes-more-information-on-making-tax-digital
>
> This was discussed here some time ago, but was inconclusive.

This was discussed briefly on the devel list but judging by the lack of response I guess that there are very few UK users that are affected.

Inserting this into the GnuCash code I think is unrealistic for the apparently few users and specific use-case.  One could, I suppose, use a Python to extract the relevant data and interact with the HMRC API as a separate application that has access to the GnuCash data book. I imagine extracting the required data should be (relatively) easy, and (simply) interfacing with HMRC is all that's required from there.

I signed up as a developer and have written some python that gets through the oauth2 part. I'm now trying to interface with the "Individual Tax" API. Just getting various errors at the moment but that's better than yesterday.  I've no idea yet as to what data is required to push to the API, I can't find any relevant info.

This should be on the devel list perhaps.

Mike E

--
GPG Key fingerprint = 0D8A 33A8 F7F8 733C 7519  2A56 DB8F 7CF1 C67B BC0F