[GNC] Finance : Quote not working

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 6 10:36:27 EDT 2018

> On Aug 6, 2018, at 1:30 AM, Kevin Thorne <thornesonthego at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> When running Gnucash I can’t get any stock quote updates for Australia ASX or USA Nasdaq or NSE or any currency updates.
> I have run the install price retrieval install and from what I can see all ok but cant get any info
>
> Please help
>
> Running Perl 1.47
> GnuCash 3.2
> Windows 10
> Have Alphavantage API key
>
> Have entered the API key in Gnucash 3.2 and added it to the environment file
>
> Tried running gnc-fq-dump alphavantage  wow.ax and get the following
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin>perl gnc-fq-dump -v alphavantage wow.ax
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>    symbol: wow.ax (deduced)     <=== required
>      date: ** missing **        <=== recommended
>  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
>      last:                      <=\
>       nav:                      <=== one of these
>     price:                      <=/
>  timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> ** This stock quote cannot be used by GnuCash!
>

> All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock wow.ax
>
> stock           field  value
> wow.ax       errormsg: Expected ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY to be set; get an API key at https://www.alphavantage.co
> wow.ax           last: **missing**
> wow.ax            nav: **missing**
> wow.ax          price: **missing**
> wow.ax        success: 0

The command-line tools, gnc-fq-dump and gnc-fq-helper, cannot read the GnuCash environment file nor query the GnuCash preferences, so to use them you need to  set the environment variable ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY with your key.

As for GnuCash’s difficulties, Alphavantage has increased the request time from 1 per second to 1 per 20 seconds. There are commits addressing this in Finance::Quote’s Github repository, so we’re just waiting for Erik Colson to do a release so that everyone can use them.

Regards,
John Ralls