[GNC] Matching/reconciling transfers from different banks

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 9 12:25:09 EDT 2018

> On Aug 9, 2018, at 7:01 AM, brainwash <ligius+gnucash at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the reply.
> The last suggestion (suspense account) is basically the "virtual" account
> which I also suggested. Sorry for not getting my vocabulary right, this is
> all pretty new to me.
>
> Regarding paper trail vs. GC - most of the banks here are moving now away
> from paper and more into PDF or CSV. Actually tis is the first year that I
> sent my accountant the CSV exported from GC and an incomplete paper trail.
> This was enough for him to work with. However I fear that having small
> imbalances might make his/her job harder.
>
> If I leave the payments alone and do not assign them they end up in
> "Unbalanced". Which, again, is not a big hassle, just thought there was a
> way to synchronize (match? reconcile?) two transactions without changing
> their description and date.

Do you mean “Imbalance-CUR” where “CUR” is the three-letter code for your currency (e.g. USD, GBP, EUR, etc.)? If that’s the case it’s due to your not assigning a destination account for the transaction in the import matcher.

Yes, "paper trail” is becoming metaphorical, like “dialing” a “phone”.

When everything’s done there shouldn’t be any imbalances. If you transfer 1000 from bank a to bank b either you end up with 1000 in bank b or you book any fees that the banks charge for the transfer to an expense account.

Regards,
John Ralls