[GNC] Summarizing cash flow report w.r.t. entries and exits (discounts)

brainwash ligius+gnucash at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:31:40 EDT 2018

This problem might be two-folded.

I have several categories of payments or receivables that have both positive
and negative entries. For example, I might receive payment with VAT included
but the respective amount is later paid out after a few months. This shows
an entry under "comes from"(+) for the total billed and an entry under "goes
to"(-) for the VAT. Since that amount is never mine to begin with, I would
like it to just be subtracted from the incoming ("from") section.

The second issue is receiving discounts (on health insurance) or making
corrections (on income). The effect of those special situations is that
"Expenses" show up under the "from" section and "Income" shows up under the
"to" section. I would like Expenses to always show up in the section below
and Income above.

Example how it looks now:
---
Money into selected accounts comes from
Income:Invoices 100
Expenses:Insurance:Health Insurance 10
Money in: 110
---
Money out of selected accounts goes to
Expenses:Taxes:VAT 19
Expenses:Insurance:Health Insurance 100
Money out: 119

An idea about how it would be nice to look:
---
Money into selected accounts comes from
Income:Invoices 100
Expenses:Taxes:VAT (19)
Money in: 81
---
Money out of selected accounts goes to
Expenses:Insurance:Health Insurance (10)
Expenses:Insurance:Health Insurance 100
Money out: 90

Maybe it's the wrong report to use for this or the wrong category (account)
assignment. Not sure what a good solution to this would be.