[GNC] Hidden accounts and balances

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Aug 11 03:38:42 EDT 2018

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 10:21:34 -0500
Bridgit Griffin <bridgitgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> For sanity's sake I imported the Quicken file into another financial
> program and the results were similar to what is in Quicken. There
> were many many more accounts that are closed (aka zeroed balances)
> that GNUcash was reporting differently. And if the account had a
> balance when I selected closed in the new software that account was
> removed from the balances. I think it is in the importing process
> that causes many issues as categories and certain transactions were
> broken out into their own accounts. Looking like I'll forgo GNUCash
> for now. Thank you for all the input.

Just to think more deeply about this

There are some things in Quicken-type accounting which are apparently
balanced but are not in true double entry accounting (yes, I did use
Quicken once)

There are things which are difficult to sort out after an import
	Small incremental imports and data correction from the source
	may be needed

If you have used a work-around (in this example hiding a joint account
balance when circumstances changed, rather than making an entry to
close the account) everything will be laid bare when you go to double
entry accounting.

Lastly
Professional advice on how to set up your books and how to handle odd
situations (like the example above) can often save a lot of your own
time. To me, with an income, it is worthwhile paying for such advice.

Liz