[GNC] Help with Reports Please!

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 11 22:11:18 EDT 2018

On 08/11/2018 02:22 PM, Diane Forrest wrote:
> Hello out there:  1) Am a former user of Quicken, finally "moved"  to try a
> new system.  2)  I have spent a huge amount of time getting acclimated to
> double-entry, importing QIF data, etc.  I finally feel like I get the
> system, even like the system, after ignoring my community for more than a
> week of vacation. 2) Am using what purports to be the recent, updated
> version:   *Version: 3.2  Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24)  *
>
> 3) MY ISSUE:   Imagine my (gulp) extreme disappointment to find that *after
> all that effort* ... cleaning up & entering about 7 months of Income,
> Expense, Liability, Asset Data... but for the life of me, I can't seem to
> get anything even close to a Quicken style cashflow report.

Does Reports->Income & Expense->Cashflow not do what you want?

Set the account(s), beginning and end date desired.

> What I used to
> do was print *monthly, numerical, income/expense reports*.  All those
> transactions nicely summed under all my expense subaccounts.... I could
> really tell what was going on.  I do not use (or even like) piecharts,
> scatterplots, or tables of little color bars.  I do not want Grand Account
> Totals (Jan to June), I want a table by month, for each Account, with it's
> sub-account "children" below it.

I get a report like this:

Cash Flow Operating - 2017-08-01 to 2018-07-31

Selected Accounts
Money into selected accounts comes from
Gifts Received:ANONYMOUS	$987.65
Gifts Received:PRIVATE:Beyer, Jean-David	$1,234.56
[snip]
Other Income	$1,357.00
Money In	$25,046.67
Money out of selected accounts goes to
Advancement	$76.54
Assistance	$123.45
Bank Charge	$97.65
[snip]
Utilities:Verizon	$543.21
Money Out	$25,699.83
Difference	-$653.16

> 4) I really have studied various GNUcash documentation,  manuals, looked at
> a few videos,  searched on line.  I think I'm smart enough, been patient
> enough, I'm really working hard... but to what end?  What on earth is the
> deal?  What am I missing here?  Is it the version I'm using, and if so, can
> someone tell me what to do, please.  Thx in advance,   DF

More difficult, but more flexible, might be a Transaction Report and a
lot of fiddling with the Sort option.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 21:50:01 up 31 days, 21:40, 3 users, load average: 4.67, 4.34, 4.22