[GNC] GnuCash Theme Library

Fross, Michael michael at fross.org
Mon Aug 13 14:50:09 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,

GnuCash, via GTK, has a very rich ability to change the fonts and colors
and customize how GnuCash looks.  However, I think it's safe to say that
it's not a trivial exercise for the average user.

However, the recent discussions between Adrien, GTI, Peter, and others have
made a lot of progress, IMHO, in understanding how CSS can control the look
at feel.  I'm also sure there is much more than could be discovered and
documented.

Therefore, I'd like to create a GnuCash Theme Library in the Wiki where
people who create custom GTK-3.0.css theme files can share them.  Other
users can download the files (instructions will be provided by platform in
the library) and try them out or use them as a base for their own tweaking.

I was thinking of including the following information for each uploaded
theme (* denotes a required field):
  - Theme Name*
  - Author*
  - Date*
  - Version*
  - Description*
  - Screenshot (no financial data please)
  - Link to download file*

I also think it would very useful to have a template file with every
settable option in it that we know about with a brief description about
each one detailing what it does.  That would really encourage people to
download and tweak, or discover areas of customization they didn't know
could be.

While I'm new to MediaWiki, I'd be happy to spend time creating this theme
library.  However, I'd like to get feedback on what we should include and
overall thoughts on this and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you very much,

Michael