[GNC] Disconnect between balance on client list and account statement

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Aug 15 00:19:18 EDT 2018

That is a challenge. I don’t speak Spanish, but those translations via translate.google seem to check out, though I’m a little fuzzy on the first two, but since the first one has Clientes as plural and that report indeed does report on all customers, and the second as Estado does transalate to Report, I’d say you’ve identified them correctly. To be sure I’d have to check the translation file. (If this is a problem, I’ll dig it out, but I think these are correct)

For completeness:

The Customer Overview shows for all customers:

Company Name, Customer Number, Address 1, Address 2, Phone + any additional columns you add. (Balance is one of the possibilities)
Nothing in this list is clickable. But you can right-click a customer and perform a few maintenance functions as well as run a Customer Report.

The Receivable Aging report shows (by default) only for customers with non-zero balances:
Company Name (as a clickable link), Current owed balance, and the balance due that is aged 0-30 days, 31-60 days, 61-90 days, 91+days, and the total, along with a total line for all customers for each aging period and a grand total. The totals for each customer are clickable. That brings you also, to a Customer Report.

The Customer Report is a table report one line for each invoice and payment with:

Date, Due Date, Reference Number, Type (invoice or payment), Description, Debits, Credits, and Amount.

At the bottom there is a Period Totals line, a Total Debit or Total Credit line (depending on which it is) and an aging summary which should repeat the info from the aging report, but just for this customer. This is what I would refer to as a ‘Customer Statement’ but is termed ‘Customer Report’ in GnuCash. In the Reports > Business menu, it is probably the first Customer report on the list. The ‘Customer Summary’ is something else entirely and is designed to show chargebacks from Vendor invoices for particular jobs.

The Customer Report also has a header with the Customer’s address and contact info.

---------

It is possible when you moved the payment, you needed to re-apply it to the proper invoice. If you attempt to ‘Process Payment’ for this customer, do any unpaid invoices appear? Do any pre-payments appear? Also, I’m not sure an income:returns account was the right account to use. The payment should have been received to an asset. The invoice itself was booked against income. Processing a payment this way would reduce income erroneously. If this would throw off your bank balances, then that real payment is somewhere in the history. (otherwise, your account would be short by the amount of the payment) Rather than entering it again, you need only assign it as a payment to the invoice. (use the right-click menu on the payment transaction - this will be similar to ‘Process Payment’)

Also, you mention you experimented with a credit note. Did you zero out and unpost the credit note? If you had posted it and applied it as payment to an invoice, it might still be applied there and so you aren’t seeing an invoice to be paid. I would recommend creating a placeholder customer, say CustomerABC, and assign the credit note to this placeholder after you unpost it. Delete all lines in the credit note. Zero or blank anything you can that GnuCash will allow and enter placeholder info for the rest. Do NOT repost the credit note. (it can’t be deleted either, but it can be reused and reassigned later if you need one.)

I’d go back over the customer’s history from whatever other records you have and walk through each invoice and each payment and make sure they all line up. At some point, you’re going to find either a payment in your cash/checking that wasn’t assigned as a payment to an invoice, or that the credit note made a mess still to be cleaned up, or a duplicate invoice.

Again, be sure your start and end dates on the reports you are comparing are identical. (to make sure the same transactions are included in the totals) The Customer Overview (presumably Previsión de Clientes) Balance column may or may not be correct. I never use it though mine does agree with the Aging Report. If the other two reports (Aging Report and Customer Report) agree with each other, I’d go with those and not worry about the overview.

Finally, you note that when you moved the payment this resulted in a credit balance for the customer. But if the customer is paid up as you noted in the first post, their balance should be zero, neither credit nor debit. Really, I’d delete that payment entirely, find the actual payment in your asset history, and apply *that* transaction as a payment as noted above. IF this payment occurred before the opening date of your book, then there’s another solution for that.

Regards,
Adrien