[GNC] File Format Documentation (Bug 777893)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Aug 16 06:41:32 EDT 2018

Op donderdag 16 augustus 2018 02:33:32 CEST schreef Derek Atkins:
> Depends on the platform.
> On Linux the sqlite dbd may not come installed.
>
> -derek
> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

To clarify this a bit, whether or not sqlite is included in the package as the
user receives it is not something the developers decide.

It depends on two factors:
1. whether the person creating the final gnucash package has enabled support
for it while building gnucash
2. whether the PC on which this package gets installed also has the necessary
libdbi packages installed.

For Windows and OS X the gnucash project provides the packages itself. And we
make sure everyting that's needed is there for sqlite. So indeed on these two
platforms gnucash can work with sqlite without installing anything extra. On
linux and variants packaging is a distro specific thing. I suspect most
distros by now build gnucash with libdbi support, but we don't control this.

The packager on linux distros also decides whether installing gnucash should
trigger installation of the libdbi sqlite driver as well by default. And as
Derek points out on Fedora this is not the case.

I would also point out that at least the Windows package is ready for the
three sql formats. That is if you have access to a mysql or postgresql
database already you can use it straight away with gnucash without installing
anything additionally (like libdbi as your table suggests). And I *think* the
same goes for the OS X package though I can only go by what's in the package
configuration script. I can't test in practice.

So (unless I'm wrong on the OS X part) to summarize:
- Windows and OS X: support for all formats out of the box
- On linux and similar package based systems: support for db formats depends
on how gnucash was built for that platform and may require additional libdbi
packages to be installed for full db support.
- In all cases gnucash does not provide the mysql or postgresql *server*.
Setting this up or getting access to one is the user's responsability.

Do you see a way to incorporate this platform dependent info in your table ?

Regards,

Geert