[GNC] GnuCash in Spanish

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 16 12:35:25 EDT 2018

Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Most mail clients have a "reply all"; some even have a "reply list". Either makes it simple, but you do have to click the right button.

> On Aug 16, 2018, at 8:31 AM, Roger Oliver <roger at olivermx.net> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> By the way, how did I happen to install the Spanish version? I checked languages and Spanish is not on the list. Nevertheless, when I installed it on a pc with Windows 7 in Spanish, the language was Spanish. Your comments left me with the impression that there might be a Spanish version file to install rather than by accident.
>
> I use GnuCash for my personal account on my computer in English and also kept a set of books for an LLC in Texas in English. I’ll compare the reports on the two programs to figure out the reports in Spanish but it doesn’t help that much. They don’t seem to be in the same order on the menus in the two language versions so position on the menu doesn’t help either.
>
> God bless technology, can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Ha!

By and large software, including GnuCash, doesn't have language versions, it has translation files and you can change translations by changing the locale settings. Normally GnuCash will take the language settings from the system settings, but there are ways to override that. The most likely place for an override in 2.6.x and 3.x is in C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\etc\gnucash\environment. You can open it in Notepad (be sure to right click and select "Run as Administrator" to start it). Find the lines beginning with LANG and LANGUAGE and make sure that they both have '#' at the beginning of the line to comment them out.

Regards,
John Ralls