[GNC] File Format Documentation, v. 2

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:04:44 EDT 2018

Hi,

I almost missed this, because it is on the wrong list.

I would be more precise about dbi and dbd:

Am 16.08.2018 um 22:00 schrieb David T. via gnucash-user:
> The XML storage format is a text file that is compressed with gzip,
... can be compressed ...
> which is a preference that is set at Edit→Preferences→General→Use
> file compression. SQL storage is available via the DBI back end;
SQL storage is available via the DataBase Interface library libdbi,
which requires additional the installation of a DataBase Driver (dbd)
module for the desired formats.
For Macos and Windows libdbi and libdbi-dbd-sqlite are already part of
the official bundle.
[from footnote 1; check for the correct naming of the modules they vary
between distributions]
> use of MySQL and PostgreSQL requires installation of those DBMS
> packages as well as additional DBI drivers.
 packages and knowledge to manage them.
> Note: users can change the format at any time by using File→Save As.
> This will create a copy of the data file in the selected format.
~Frank