[GNC] mysql backend, second user (lock, for example)

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Sun Aug 19 01:32:08 EDT 2018

I'd like to understand if gnucash + mysql supports avoiding simultaneous
editors (e.g., via locks).

In more detail:

I want to keep accounts for a small organisation in which we've decided
several people should have access to the books for transparency and
distribution of work.  One possibility seems to be gnucash, which would
suit me because I already know it among other reasons.  With a mysql
backend, it's easy enough to set up for us.

Gnucash has long (very long) noted that simultaneous editors is a
wishlist item.  Now the chances of simultaneous editors is really small
for us, so even a simple lock-out ("sorry, Sara is editing now, want to
wait a few minutes?") is enough.  Even anonymous, because we know each
other and can message to figure out who.  But I haven't found anything
written here about whether gnucash with the mysql back end leaves behind
a breadcrumb so that other instances know not to edit.  (Or maybe
there's a compile-time option to support this, for example.  So just
testing isn't quite good enough here.)

I've seen that James Nylen has written a (possibly moribund) django
interface, which could sort the multi-user access issue by actually
being only a single user.  I'm not overly inclined, however, as the
project smells of "good enough for the author but not fully production
ready".  And I don't want to maintain a django application as well.

   https://github.com/nylen/gnucash-django

--

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57