[GNC] Cannot change preferences

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:47:15 EDT 2018

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 16:31, Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> ..
> Here is the full content of .xsession-errors after running dconf-editor
> in a terminal and finding the terminal the messages quoted below.
>
> Xsession: X session started for ken at Tue Aug 21 10:32:09 EDT 2018
> localuser:ken being added to access control list
> dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus:
> /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally without any error message

Now we are getting somwhere  dbus isn't running

> when I open dconf-editor in a terminal, the first thing that happens is
> appearance of the following two lines in the terminal:
>
> (dconf-editor:2308): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync:
> assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

I should have asked for this output earlier, again it confirms dbus is
not running

> (dconf-editor:2412): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to
> dconf: Failed to execute child process "dbus-launch" (No such file or
> directory)

And that confirms it can't save the changes because there is a problem
with dbus.
I suspect that may means that dbus-x11 is not installed. Run

sudo apt-get install dbus-x11

If it is already installed it will tell you.  Otherwise try
dconf-editor again and see if you get the error on startup.  If you
don't get the error I suspect all will now be working and you should
be able to save settings in the editor as well as in gnucash and in a
number of other apps that use dconf.  If you do still get it then
reboot and try again (it might be necessary to reboot to get dbus
working, not sure).

Colin