[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Tue Aug 21 18:30:22 EDT 2018

On 08/21/2018 03:11 PM, GWB wrote:
> As Bert pointed out, if you can use Debian unstable, the version is 3.2:
>
> <<
> Source Package: gnucash (1:3.2-1)
> from https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/gnucash
>
> Ironically, I usually find Debian unstable to be, in fact, more stable
> than the "stable" version of some other distros.  But Debian will tell
> you otherwise:
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/sid/
>
> Listen to Debian in this case, especially since it's your financial
> data.  So using the Ubuntu naming method, think of Sid Unstable as
> "Sid Vicious", and expect lots of crashes, core dumps, and other nasty
> things to occur when you're using gnucash.  They won't be caused by
> gnucash, but they will affect what you're trying to do.
>
> If you can navigate that and work around the instability, give it a
> try.  I'm OK with 2.6.whatever until Ubuntu 18 gets 3.
>
> Gordon

I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 for some time and have found it to be
fine for my business and personal use.

In addition, I downloaded 3.2 source when it was announced and compiled
it.  Some problems but nothing that hurt my data.  Currently I have
3.2-100 (a patch set) pulled down from github and that solves the data
entry problems I was experiencing.  If you are comfortable compiling the
code (isn't that hard once the dependencies are installed) then the
group here will help if you run into error conditions.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com