[GNC] GC 3.2 Import Price File CSV

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 24 12:18:07 EDT 2018

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 11:48 PM, Megagrumpy <megagrumpy at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are no spaces in the stock definition. Also in answer to your question
> about the date format. I have tried all the date formats and I never get a
> failure to read the date correctly. When I import data in quicken format
> from my bank it tends to be in M-D-Y format for some reason.
>
> I have also followed your advice and generated a completely new GC file with
> only one stock in it. I have put in ABF under Eurex as the default format
> only shows Amex, Eurex, Nasdaq and NYSE as options for the "Type" of stock.
> (My stocks are all LSE so I had added LSE as an additional type in my
> definitions and thought that maybe that was causing the problem). I get
> exactly the same problem with the message "Commodity From could not be
> understood. Value can't be parsed into valid commodity."

I just tested with the following CSV:
AAPL,23/8/2018,USD,255.37
ABF.L,23/8/2018,GBP,25
AZN.L,23/8/2018,GBP,37.12

My securities table in the test account is
LSE
         ABF.L      Associated British Foods    ABF.L      GB0006731235     10000
NASDAQ
         AAPL       Apple                               AAPL                                 1

AAPL and ABF.L are accepted by the csv price importer and AZN.L is rejected, all as expected.

This with GnuCash 3.2 on MacOS.

I was able to get ABF.L to break by adding a trailing space to the symbol (i.e. “ABF.L “) in the security editor. Please check again to ensure that you have no stray spaces. The only way to be sure is to edit it in the security editor, select the symbol field, and press the <home> and <end> keys and observe that there’s no space between the cursor and the letter at each end.

If it’s really not a stray space encoding is the only possible source of the mismatch. That shouldn’t be possible as all the code points in “ABF.L” are in the 0x20-0x7f range that are the same for all encodings, but just to be sure try selecting “Western:English(ASCII)” in the encoding listbox and see if that gets the symbol accepted.

Regards,
John Ralls