[GNC] Help breaking up a file

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 27 09:36:06 EDT 2018

Eric,

What version of Gnucash are you currently using and on what operating
system?

If it is 3.2, you can export the transactions using the default export
format to a csv file and import them using the same default format. The
format is selectable in the setup assistants for both export (here just use
the default settings in the first pane of the assistant and don't change
them) and on import select the GnuCash Export Setting in the Load and Save
Settings combo box at the top.

I did this this afternoon with a couple of month's data while testing out
some changes I was making to the importer and it worked flawlessly apart
from one quirk. You have to make sure the default date format when you
import the exported data matches the date format for your locale or whatever
date format you have set in the GnuCash preferences for dates for your
books.

My understanding is that before v3 GnuCash was unable to easily reimport its
own export data but from V3.0 on this should work OK so if you are using a
v2.6 variant this may be the problem and causing the errors on import. I
would try it with a small block of data initially until you are sure you
have the settings right.

David Cousens.

-----
David Cousens