[GNC] Help breaking up a file

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Mon Aug 27 11:48:55 EDT 2018

On 08/27/2018 06:36 AM, David Cousens wrote:
> Eric,
>
> What version of Gnucash are you currently using and on what operating
> system?
>
> If it is 3.2, you can export the transactions using the default export
> format to a csv file and import them using the same default format. The
> format is selectable in the setup assistants for both export (here just use
> the default settings in the first pane of the assistant and don't change
> them) and on import select the GnuCash Export Setting in the Load and Save
> Settings combo box at the top.
>
> I did this this afternoon with a couple of month's data while testing out
> some changes I was making to the importer and it worked flawlessly apart
> from one quirk. You have to make sure the default date format when you
> import the exported data matches the date format for your locale or whatever
> date format you have set in the GnuCash preferences for dates for your
> books.
>
> My understanding is that before v3 GnuCash was unable to easily reimport its
> own export data but from V3.0 on this should work OK so if you are using a
> v2.6 variant this may be the problem and causing the errors on import. I
> would try it with a small block of data initially until you are sure you
> have the settings right.
>
> David Cousens.
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --

I have thought that a useful feature would be a balance-forward option
on the year-end close tool.  That option would replace all of the
transactions in an account with a single entry that is the balance at
the end of the year (or specified date if someone has a fiscal year
non-calendar).  Since the year-end close just ran, all the income and
expense accounts would net to zero.  I would have it saved to a new file
rather than replacing the old (or ask for a name for the "old" file and
write the pre-action file to there).

I suppose this could be a stand-alone feature but it seems most useful
in conjunction with the "close" option.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com