[GNC] Unable to open new version

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 28 10:51:23 EDT 2018

> On Aug 28, 2018, at 2:58 AM, Ian Lancaster <gcbb1940 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Colin
> 	Thanks for your very quick reply to my problem.
> 	I have tried the File>Open but the new app seems to overrule the original program.
> 	The Apple techs tell me that the accounts seem to be contained in the app and not with my other documents.
> 	I had reconciled my accounts up until the end of last month so I was prepared to start again even though it was unfortunate to loose all that information that is why I was urged to contact GnuCash to see if it was possible to find a way to retrieve the original information.
> 	You reminded me of something I had forgotten.  I have backups of all my data so I have the answer.
> 	One thing, the Apple techs showed me was, that in the System Preferences, HQ has reduced the acceptable apps to; 1 From the App Store, and 2	From recognised developers.  They have removed unrecognised developers; without the option of you being able to open the program .  They say HQ has done this in the name of Security.

If you got GnuCash from one of our download locations, it’s signed with an Apple Developer Certificate and so falls into the second category. Since GnuCash is starting up, albeit without opening your book, you’ve gotten past any security issues.

So start up GnuCash and select File>Open from the menu. You’ll be presented with a file chooser. It’s not the native one, but it works mostly the same way. It will open in your home folder and you can navigate to whatever folder in which you keep your GnuCash data. In that folder, select the base file (remember that GnuCash names its backup files with timestamps in the middle, so if your data file is foo.gnucash the backups will be named like foo.gnucash.20180826112319.gnucash) and click the “open” button on the lower right corner of the file chooser.

Regards,
John Ralls