[GNC] Working with compound interest on varying amounts

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Wed Dec 5 00:37:38 EST 2018

As David said.

In Australia, mortgage accounts can be quite complicated to represent.
They are often variable-rate; it's common to pay at 4-weekly intervals
while interest is calculated daily, but debited from the account at the
end of the calendar month; and advance payments (and sometimes
withdrawals against advance payments) are allowed.

It's also common for mortgage offset accounts to be attached to
mortgages, which, instead of paying interest, the offset account's
balance is subtracted from the mortgage accounts balance when the daily
mortgage interest is being calculated. This gives an effective interest
rate for the offset account equal to the mortgage interest rate, and is
tax free, because no money is actually paid.

It all meant that when I had mortgage account, the interest calculation
was way beyond my ability to convince GnuCash to calculate (and I didn't
even use an offset account).

Instead, I ran a spreadsheet that calculated estimated interest due, and
used that to make sure there weren't any gross errors in the bank's
calculations. I simply copied the actual interest in the monthly bank
statement into GnuCash, so that GunCash's balance would reconcile.

I do something similar for our on-call higher-interest savings accounts.
The interest on our current account is so pitiful it's not worth
calculating.

That's probably good enough for personal finances, but may not be good
enough for your business use.

Peter