[GNC] Manint Brach on GitHub

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Dec 6 02:55:01 EST 2018

Op donderdag 6 december 2018 03:48:22 CET schreef stephen.m.butler51:
> I'll see if I can grab the 3.3 branch.

I understand what you want to say here, however it occurs to me there's still
some confusion on how git works. So I'll take the liberty to elaborate a bit
on that. There is no 3.3 "branch". Releases are "tagged" instead so there will
be a 3.3 tag you can check out.

A "branch" is a moving target that always points at last commit of a chain of
commits. You can add new commits to this chain, which will move the branch to
the new last commit of that chain.

A tag on the other hand is used to mark very specific commits which are not
necessarily the last one in a chain. As releases are fixed moments in time, it
makes sense to use tags to mark releases. And branches on the other hand track
ongoing work (either maintenance work on the "maint" branch or new development
work on the "master" branch or even intermediate work on feature branches,
though these are used only in user's personal repository clones).

Regards,

Geert