[GNC] Manint Brach on GitHub

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Dec 6 12:41:46 EST 2018

On 12/5/18 11:55 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Op donderdag 6 december 2018 03:48:22 CET schreef stephen.m.butler51:
>> I'll see if I can grab the 3.3 branch.
> I understand what you want to say here, however it occurs to me there's still
> some confusion on how git works. So I'll take the liberty to elaborate a bit
> on that. There is no 3.3 "branch". Releases are "tagged" instead so there will
> be a 3.3 tag you can check out.
>
> A "branch" is a moving target that always points at last commit of a chain of
> commits. You can add new commits to this chain, which will move the branch to
> the new last commit of that chain.
>
> A tag on the other hand is used to mark very specific commits which are not
> necessarily the last one in a chain. As releases are fixed moments in time, it
> makes sense to use tags to mark releases. And branches on the other hand track
> ongoing work (either maintenance work on the "maint" branch or new development
> work on the "master" branch or even intermediate work on feature branches,
> though these are used only in user's personal repository clones).
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Thanks for the elaboration.  As you noted, I'm new to git and still
figuring things out.  Right now I'm at the end of a fire hose and
drowning in Scheme, C++, git, etc.  Not to mention the 60 hours of web
seminars I need to pick up to keep my PMP certification (at least I have
18 months to do that).

I did dig around last night and figured out that even though I could
checkout 3.3, it wasn't a branch.  Finally found the things called
tag(s) and figured something close to what you elaborated.

Thanks for being patient with me.  And I do have a .deb file for v3.3
now if anyone it interested in seeing if it will work for them.

Feel free to keep nudging me in the right direction.  I'd hate to end up
in a quagmire of my own making!

--

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com