[GNC] Reconciling different periods?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:56:33 EST 2018

> On 11 Dec 2018, at 16:40, Finbar Mahon <mahon.finbar at neuf.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My reconcile is a bit erratic. So, I thought of trying to find the error by reconciling for different periods. If I put in the date for the last statement for the period I want to check, can I just put in an amount as the ending balance that coincides with the starting period and that way check on a period by period basis?
>
> I know it sounds complicated but I cannot think of a better way of doing it.
>
> Thanks

Afternoon, Finbar.

As a user of GC since 2010 for my personal accounts, I would advise that you step back from this precipice before you jump over it!

I urge you go back far enough in your accounts to get to a bank statement that is in exact agreement with your accounts, then work your way systematically forward from that date, correcting any erroneous entries in your accounts as you go.

Ideally, you should mark everything beyond the reconciliation date as “unreconciled” and go forward from there - it’s very easy to click on a duplicate transaction and mark it as reconciled, or to miss digit transpositions and other typing errors.

Best of luck!

Michael