[GNC] Bayesian matching, was Re: gnucash-user Digest, Vol 189, Issue 50

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 19 17:49:20 EST 2018

Elamr

The Linux Mint repository is often quite a way behind the current release. Tara(19) only has 2.6.19 available.
GnuCash is straight forward to build on Linux Mint. The wiki build pages https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building_On_Linux
 were derived on LmM 18.3 and a fresh install of LM 19 as well so they shouuld have caught all possible dependencies. I
have the instructions given there to setup the build environment in a simple shell script which loads the build tools
and then all the dependencies, which is attached if you want to try it.

You will need to set execute privileges on it (chmod +x gnucash-development-dependency-setup.sh) and then run it
(./gnucash-development-dependency-setup.sh at a terminal prompt in the directory you put it in. It requests permissions
to install libraries and headers at various points, just reply "y" to those. It takes a while to run though and install
everything. (~15 min on a 50MBps broadband link).

As Geert suggested the flatpak version is also available from the Software Manager. It required a few configuration
changes to get running as the flatpak does't have full access to LM in the default build. It may have been patched to
fix that since I tried it when GC3.2 was first released. If you check the forum archives around then there should be
some info of how to configure the flatpak.

I spent my first few months on LM five years ago only installing software from the repository. While it is generally
safe it is highly limiting. (The LM repository was compromised on one occasion a few years ago and a hacked version of a
program was installed there. It only lasted a couple of hours but a few of us did download it in that time.)

I think my first build from source was probably GnuCash when I found I couldn't access a new feature I needed at the
time. I now run uptodate versions of most software. The main hassle is usually sorting out library versions when the
dependencies are updated. Fortunately many major libraries now can have multiple versions installed in parallel and the
programs just link to the version they require so conflict between libraries for different programs is not usually an
issue.

David Cousens