[GNC] Basic Question (I hope) - End of Year Procedure

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 15:45:03 EST 2018

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 at 05:03, Jennym <55.jennifer.massey at gmail.com> wrote:
> So what I'd like to do:  Retain all of 2018 accounts (having them to hand
> for easy access), but have them zeroed for 2019.

I don't do this, for me there is no point. It is possible to view or
report on only transactions within a date range if one wants so I
don't see the advantage of closing the books.  If you do then you
loose easy access to the history, so for example when the dishwasher
fails and you think when and where did I buy that then you cannot
immediately find out.  I now have 18 years of personal accounts
history immediately accessible.

> My worry is that if I do anything wrong, there's no historical 'undo' button
> to backtrack.

If you do decide to do it then as others have pointed out, if you mess
things up then you can always go back to your previous backup.  If you
don't take regular backups then start doing so immediately.  Your disk
drive or PC may go up in smoke, literally or metaphorically, at any
time and the accounts file may be irretrievably lost.

Colin